Question - doing moped research.

I am researching mopeds and I am wondering how long people generally keep a new moped. Is buying a new moped every two to three years unusual or normal?

Re: Question - doing moped research.

WackyJacky1 /

Ann,

I don't know for sure, but I get the impression these folks keep and maintain their 'peds for many years.

Jamie Leonard /

Well it depends - personally I bought a new moped a year after getting my first one... largely because I wanted to upgrade after trying things out with a cheaper model. But I'm planning to keep my current one a LONG time (and no reason why I can't with some basic maintenence along the way)

It's not uncommon to see 20-30 year old mopeds up here (toronto, ontario) puttering around the city... in most cases they've changed hands a few times in their lifespan, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a few that have been with the same owner since new.

But then again you get the nuts.... like me... who buy extra mopeds not for any possible practical reason but just because they're cheap, or they want them, etc.

(I bought a jawa project bike just to tinker with.... but am not planning to sell my tomos. :)

i found my lucia (1977 bianchi snark eagle) in august 2000. or did she find me? ... either way, i'll never let her go. i hope to ride her until one of us breaks down permanently. i think it'd be her, people are just more fragile than machines.

Ron Brown /

Ann,

Through the 80's and 90's, mopeds were not sold much. Many people who bought mopeds in the 70's rode them a little, then stached them in the back of the garage. Although mopeds are making something of a comeback, most people on this forum buy 70's mopeds because they are so cheap and they are on this forum because they do thier own repairs. I think it is also true that many new mopeds are sold to teenagers who are not old enough for a driver's licence. Many of these riders move up to a motorcycle or car and so never buy a second ped.

If you really need a good answer to this question, you may be better off searching for moped dealers and emailing the question to them.

Good Luck,

Ron

Reeperette /

Having bought many a used Moped...one figure stands out in my mind right away.

6,000 Miles.

That's the 'breakpoint' for most people...when the shiney, brand new moped they bought begins to need something they call (insert gasp here) "maintainence".

The speedometer/odometer goes down for the count, the brakes need doing, and a myriad of other things need work or adjustment..and the shiney new moped now becomes "A pain in the ass that needs too much work." and the kids, on average...go see about selling it.

True moped hardcases are usually somehow subconciously or otherwise prepared for this, and simply start putting the maintainence into it, but the kids sell em off.

So you got the kids, who sell at about 6,000 miles....and the hardcore folks who never sell it.

Amazing to me is most mopeds don't really need serious maintainence for that first 6,000 miles....very well built they are.

-Ree

Simon King /

Well Ree, I just topped 6,000 on my Motobecane. I'm proud to say that I've put in 5,600 of those myself. I'm in love with my moped though - no selling here. I would rather do anything to fix that Moby up than buy a new one.

In answer to Ann's questions though, I don't think it's uncommon for people to buy a new moped every couple of years. However, I think it's more common for them to keep their old moped around - and now have two. That's how it seems to work a lot in Kazoo anyway.

I got my first moped in 1987. It was a used Sears Free Spirit that needed a piston. I fixed it and sold it, but found them strangely appealing for being so underpowered. I've had the opportunity to buy many other used mopeds and generally find that people who buy them new use them for a while, neglect the maintenance and when it won't start, they get rid of them.

I find that they don't need much work and they'll run a long time with minor attention and care.

So in a nutshell, the "fad" buyer keeps them til the newness wears off. The diehards pick up the good deals and appreciate them for what they are.

Jim C.

Jim C. took the words right out of my mouth.You've got people who buy cars the same way.You've got `users' and you've got common sense `moped riders' who really value their `ped and intend to enjoy it for a long time.Then also,money availability comes into play,and can make your decision to sell or keep a necessary evil.BYE!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account