Replacing Points

Rob Hoehn /

I Found out that the points are broken on the 1980 General Five Star w/ Minarelli engine that I just bought. I ordered new points. Will I need a flywheel puller to replace the points? Are there any other special tools that I will need? Thanks.

Rob

Re: Replacing Points

Rob,

I was staring this same problem in the face the other night.

Fortunately my points looked good, so i don't have to mess with them just now. However, i am almost certain that i (you) will have to go to the auto store and rent a puller (a tiny one) for this particular job. I don't have a manual for the Minarelli, but it looks like the only way. I soft tapped the "flywheel" with a hammer and a rag for a while and didn't get a budge (implies good construction,!). If you can't get the nut off the end, stick a drill bit in one of the holes in the flywheel and butt a hammer or something against it for resistance. Go soft, though, as the brass is soft. Good luck. Post any good tips on this particular maneuver, as i will problably need it in the near future. P.S. am i mistaken or is there also a small, thin ring of some kind on the shaft that has to be dealt with?

Re: Replacing Points

Rob Hoehn /

Rick,

I actually did get it off and found that the keyway on the shaft was broken and subsequently messed up the timing. It was tricky, but I did get it off without a puller. I don't think their is an extra ring or anything else on there to take off, but there could be. I am getting the shop manual today, so I will let you know what I find out.

Rob

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account