Motobecane Mobylette Brake Pads?

Ray Sanders /

Anyone out there ever change the brake pads on a late 70's Motobecane Mobylette?

Now that I replaced my drive belt ($4.00 at autozone versus $21.95 on the web) my Mobylette is FAST,FAST,FAST. Stopping distance is poor, however, and I read up on a federal recall on 75-80 motobecanes. So, I don't know if it's the bike, or worn brake pads. I do think new brake pads certainly wouldn't hurt.

Here is the recall notice:

VEHICLES DO NOT CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NOS. 108 AND 122, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT, AND MOTORCYCLE BRAKE SYSTEMS, RESPECTIVELY. VEHICLES ARE CAPABLE OF SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 30 MPH ALTHOUGH LIGHTING AND BRAKING SYSTEMS ARE NOT ADEQUATE FOR SAFE OPERATION AT THESE SPEEDS. VEHICLE WILL BE MODIFIED BY INSTALLING A RING WEDGE BLOCK IN THE AUTOMATIC GEAR CHANGE TO REDUCE THE MAXIMUM ATTAINABLE SPEED. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOPEDS. SYSTEM: LIGHTING AND COMMUNICATIONS; SERVICE BRAKES. CONSEQUENCES OF DEFECT: VEHICLE OPERATION AT UNSAFE SPEEDS COULD RESULT INACCIDENT AND PERSONAL INJURY.

Re: Motobecane Mobylette Brake Pads?

Hi,Ray! Take your brakes apart and give them a good lookin' over.If there's any grease or glazing,but still plenty of lining left,Then clean those puppies with BRAKEKLEEN or GUMOUT Carb.spray and a brass bristle brush.Clean the drum too,and then reassemble them dry.I have a Motobecane manual at home but I won't be back on the forum for a while as I'm off work for 7 days unless they call me for overtime or I go to the library.What I'm getting at is you have to know how to readjust your levers and springs sometimes and a shop manual will help you to do it right.You don't want any brake drag with a little 50cc motor.Sometimes if it's not stopping you have what I call `spongy cables' that aren't fixed too solidly,kinda` stretchy,you know.If you have doubts,call HANDY BIKES (614-299-0550).They work on a lot of MOTOBECANES.Always ask for B.J.(Bob Jones) BYE!

Re: Motobecane Mobylette Brake Pads?

don-ohio, this was super helpful. Thanks!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account