Locking Up Your Moped

WackyJacky1 /

Hi, everybody. First of all, I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful and given me so much advice re my earlier post where I was looking for moped comparisons/reviews. I haven't made a decision yet, but your input has really helped me narrow down my selection. (By the way, keep those thoughts coming! I am an information junkie!)

Anyway, this post may be a bit premature since I haven't even bought my moped yet...(soon...very soon)...but I am wondering what you all think is the best way to lock up your moped? I live in an apartment (no garage), and while I'm not too keen on the idea of dragging it inside every night, I will if I have to in order to prevent it from being stolen. Do you all use regular bicycle chains/locks? What is the best method?

Again, thanks for your input.

Re: Locking Up Your Moped

make sure that the object you are locking your moped to can't be removed or opened in any way. Then I recommend, if you really care about your moped, buying a big Kryptonite cable and locking your wheel and frame to the object. And if you have a bicycle lock lying around, throw that on there too. but this all depends on how visible your moped is going to be to others. People can't steal what they can't see.

kryptonite ulocks is the best way to go. only kryptonite will do (ok, others also, but get the best). lock to something solid. if you have to leave it out overnight, and you only have one moped, lock the front wheel to something solid. lock another ulock through the back wheel and part of the frame (this is also a good way to lock up if you run for a few seconds to a corner store).

where can you put your moped? my apartment is very moped friendly. i have a shed out back in the parking lot. i have a key to it (thank you landlord!) and i put my moped in there. i still put a ulock through the back wheel and frame, of course. but it's not visible.

i wouldn't bring a moped into an apartment. it's a huge hassle. and i'm not a big fan of having something w/ lots of flamable materials inside my living space. it's a nice thing to do for wintertime perhaps ... but drain all the fluids first if you bring it indoors.

Alright here's what you do, get yourself a nice chain and masterlock then chain the tires to the body and then if neccessary chain it to a big object that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Now if you can't figure that out then get yourself a nice 12 gauge shotgun with slugs in it and shoot the fucker who touches it. Don't shoot with birdshot, that just stings a little.

Hi,WackyJacky! I use a screamin' motion sensor that has a cable built in which detects only if the bike is moved or the cable is separated in any way.If it's accidentally bumped it resets in 30 secs. or so.It's really loud and you can get one at most bike stores.BYE!

Wayne Broderick /

I like Don's suggestion. Ree said that people kick the shit out of his moped because he locked it up to prevent theft...

"...if I can't steal it...he can't ride it..."

Bad people.

Reeperette /

Yeah, and if you check back about stolen 'peds...you'll see I posted a list of more estoric protection gadgets...

I would also take Ben's suggestion, but instead of slugs...use rock salt.

It works.

-Ree

Wayne Broderick /

Booby-Trapping is illegal. You'll have to sell your moped to pay your lawyer.

Chris Robertson /

Be careful about locking your moped up in a place that is <b>too</b> isolated and private --it just gives thieves a nice secure place to work.

When I'm not locking my moped at home (where it's locked inside a yard with a locked gate), I prefer to lock my moped somewhere where there are lots of people around. No thief is going to take a chance trying to cut the lock if he doesn't know if one of the people nearby is the owner.

Chris.

WackyJacky1 /

Well, now, I do happen to be from Texas and we generally don't have a problem with the use of firearms to resolve these types of awkward social situations...but I would have to say that it's really not my style. Besides, I would have to wait up at night for the stinkin' thief to make his move and I would lose out on much needed beauty sleep. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

the best defense is a moped army swarm. tonight, we had the report of a possible stolen moped. someone saw a moped that looked like the moped a friend of ours rides. while seeking for confirmation, about a dozen of us were already swarming the area and zeroed in on ther suspects. it ended up that the moped spotted did not, in fact, belong to our friend (who's not even a moped army member). but we all basically just left a party in less than 5 minutes, were out the door hitting the streets. that's why we have a 98 percent recovery rate of stolen mopeds, usually in the first 24 hrs.

Reeperette /

>>Booby-Trapping is illegal.<<

So is stealin my fuckin moped....not that it ever seems to stop em from trying.

If they wanna whine about being zapped by my electro-field gadget, they'll have to explain what they were DOING in my backyard, tresspassing, with their hands on my damn property...and that's IF they don't get loaded with rocksalt for good measure.

I've had too damn many 'peds stolen from me not to take such matters absolutely, viciously...even Rabidly, serious.

You do NOT touch my ped...or you pay, thems the rules.

-Ree

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

Did you have 50 peds stolen and recover 49, or is this recovery ratio based on only some parts of peds being recovered, or on some partial peds being stolen? :-)

Ron

Ataristyle /

I live in a condo(in 2 weeks I'm moving) and I lock it up inside a heated garage. I get a parking spot and park my S-10 Blazer there but do not pull up all the way. I put my moped in front of it and there is a water pipe running above. I run a cable around the pipe coming down towards my bike. Since the cable isnt that long I hook a chain throw the rear wheel and it also comes up throgh the luggage rack that attaches to the cable with a Master lock. I also lock the front handle bars too. I haven't been locking up the bike because where I live its all old people there. I doubt that they will take it for a spin. I think its an advantage to have the old people around. They watch over the condo and will keep a good eye on the bike. Good luck with your future 'ped.

we've had all but one moped recovered that was stolen from a moped army member. the 98 percent is an estimate, so it's probably like 90 percent? we've had a lot of mopeds stolen. just last week we had two stolen. we recovered the first w/in an hour. the second member bike was recovered by the police. but army members will scour the street to find a moped ... and will knock kids off of a ped if it even looks suspicious.

Ron Brown /

Miguel.

I was just picking on you about your "statistics". You guys do a great job.

Ron

thanks ron. i knew you were joking. i know it's not 98 percent ... but it's pretty close.

we've developed great tactics for finding thieves. we usually begin w/ a parameter sweep, then move to sector sweeps every half hour. it works really well to cover ground quickly and efficiently.

w/ cell phones, walkie-talkies, and pagers, we can usually assemble at least a dozen people w/in 15-30 mins of a report. then we team up in twos or threes (max) and head out. cars/trucks make the wide sweeps. moped teams run short sector sweeps around specific areas.

another suggestion made by josh dahl ... a veteran ... works well in relatively small areas. small two-person teams of army members walk their mopeds around the sector where a stolen moped was last heard (the sound of them are so unique, after all). we walk and listen. as soon as someone hears a moped ... he/she revs up and rides towards it. then the others do the same. boom! instant swarm converging on a specific point (i.e. the moped thief) from all sides.

of all the bikes we have had stolen, we have only not gotten back 2 of them. granted many of them are pretty wrecked when we get them back, but that is not so much our fault as the fault of the kids that steal them (then seeminly smash their newly aquired toy...i dunno....)

over the summer, we usually have a couple stolen every few weeks...some times, more. last year we had about 7 stolen in one week (we got all of those back).

Go Texas. WackyJacky, I take it you're around San Anton' ?

Wyn

WackyJacky1 /

Yup, I'm in San Antonio. When I do get my 'ped, I'm gonna try to see if I can form an S.A. branch of the Moped Army...but to tell you the truth, I haven't seen a single person riding a moped around town...ever!

keep looking, they're there. or look up the odessa, tx branch of the moped army. the thundercats.

is there a moped army in crown point indiana

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account