1979 SONI moped . HELP

Jason Burtman /

I have a brand new 1979 Soni moped out of the box that came out of my grandmother's attic. The "autometer" speedo and cable are bad. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this moped??????

Thanks,

Jason

Re: 1979 SONI moped . HELP

Ron Brown /

Jason,

What does "bad" mean. These parts may be recoverable.

Ron

Jason Burtman /

Well, the speedo cable broke off the back of the "autometer" speedo, so I need a new cable, and or speedo. Any advice on where to get parts?

Thanks again for the fast response!!!

Jason

Ron Brown /

Jason,

I assume you mean that the back of the speedo housing is broken out. This does present a problem, but should have left you with a good cable. Hang on to the pieces anyway as you may find a speedo from another brand will be the same except for the dial.

I am not familiar with this ped. Hopefully someone else will respond or you could try some of the parts people under the resources section.

Ron

never heard of a soni. can you post some pics? and call handy bikes. they know their mopeds. or contact some of the other moped parts sellers. check the resources section of the website site.

Well you could try contacting AutoMeter (www.autometer.com). I've never heard of them making moped gauges (if i had i would own one (they make NICE gauges)), but who knows..

Re: 1979 SONI moped . HELP - Soni Kinetic Deluxe -

Jason Burtman /

The moped is a Soni Kinetic Deluxe - manufactured by - Paul Soni of America, 1979

From a close look, where the cable threads on, the threads are broken off.

Can anyone provide any numbers of who might be able to help me.

Thanks!

Jason

P.S> I will try to get some pics!

Do you have it running yet?

Till you do don't worry bout the speedo.

Make sure to mix 2 stroke oil with the gas if that's the type of engine it has...that is verrrry important.

Re: Do you have it running yet?

get it running first. i totally agree w/ fred there. no sense buying a speedo cable if the bike doesn't run.

also ... if it's made by soni kinetic, check to see if tfr kinetic may sell parts. they still make mopeds, if it's the same company. if not, don't worry about it. you can get a bike speedometer and rig something up. unless you want to stay vintage ...

but keep in mind that many mopeds had no speedometer. so you could take the whole thing out. but check w/ tfr kinetic. they may be able to help you.

and find out the ammount of two stroke for your engine and all. see if you can get a manual. again, contact tfr kinetic (or someone a kinetic distributor).

Re: Do you have it running yet? PICTURES!!!!

Jason Burtman /

The unit is brand spanking new. It was cut out of the original shipping crate about 2 weeks ago. It runs good, and has less than a mile on it. Wish the speedo worked! It still almost 00000. On the back of the bike it says made in India.

Here are some pictures and a little video I just took.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/soni/soni_side.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/soni/soni_rear.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/soni/soni_cylinder.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/soni/soni_speedo.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/soni/soni_video.mpg

What do you think??

Jason Burtman

Wayne Broderick /

I wonder if you could sell it to a collecter and use the loot to get a new one?

XBrandon EdgeX /

The frame and side covers bear a striking resemblance to a Vespa Ciao. It would make sense because Vespa and Kinetic are made by the same company (or so I hear). The headlight/speedometer assembly also look similar to the ones on some Vespas.

don't sell it. ride it!! it does look very much like a ciao ... but also unique. what a nice find. i hope you get the speedometor fixed, so you can have a nice vintage ride. if your headlight/speedometer assembly is cev, you should be able to get a replacement no problem.

ride that puppy!!!

Jason Burtman /

Hehe, thanks guys! I wonder what it's worth?

Miguel, you said to try tfr kinetic for parts? Do you know where I can get their number???

Thanks again!

Jason Burtman

Hi! I'm with Miguel.Get Fred's guide going on the SONI and `ride with pride' ! Is it Mickey's Moped or something like that that has some Kinetics? If not e-mail Barbowens123@cs.com . They sell a lot of Kinetics in INDY.BYE!

Re:Cosmoplitan Motors

Cosmoplitan Motors of Hatboro PA is the distributor for Kinetic. They are very helpful and have all the parts for the current production models. If the engine is the same as the one used today, the only difference I would expect would be that yours would have points, as the new ones are CDI ignition.

Have fun!

Jim C.

Re:Cosmoplitan Motors

always check w/ handy bikes. they seem to have everything. call them. 614-299-0550. tell them moped army sent you.

Re:Cosmoplitan Motors... thanks

Jason Burtman /

Thanks guys!!!!!! I really appreciate all your help.

How do I find out what this thing is worth? What do you guys think? Just curious...

Jason Burtman

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account