can u put car carb cleaner in a moped

I was wondering if u can put caar carb cleaner in a moped

Yes

Yes... car carb cleaner is fine.

Re: can u put car carb cleaner in a moped

Sure can. I use the GM stuff, put about 1/3 of the can in in my gas can, fill the can to the 10lt mark with gas, then add the oil to get the mix. Had the carb off my pa50 the other day (I'm board and its raining out anyway), clean as a whistle, I even finnally was able to get the nozzel out from under the main jet. I'd never seen it before, knew it was there but it would never come out. The ped loves the stuff.

. cheers

put carb cleaner in the gas tank? not sure why. we just take the carbs apart and spray them down. or am i missing something here?

preventative maintance!

I was just wonderin I take it apart and clean it works better I think.

It is the same as using the 'gas treatment' in my guide Miguel... and it is also what is recomended for a modern fuel injected car... to ocassionally run a fuel system cleaner thru... it will prevent having to do expensive(or time consuming) fuel system repairs at a later date.

You may have learned to clean your carb... and you may even enjoy it.. but that is not the case with 99% of the people who own vehicles... they want to ride.. not fix.

And in a PA50's case.. the carb's location requires separation of the frame and motor to get the carb out.. its a pain in the ass.

So a $1.50 bottle of gas treatment put in a spoonful per gas tank will last 2 years.. and can keep it clean inside ..maybe so you almost never have to take it apart.

fred:

you're totally right. i forgot that you can get carb cleaner in non-spray bottle form. on the minarelli engine, and most other italian engines, the carb is very very easy to get to. i often ride w/ just a pocket knife. that's enough to get it off and apart in five minutes. but tomos and other bikes are much tougher to get to. carb cleaner in the tank sounds like a great idea.

that would help those poor suckers w/ motobecanes and other difficult-to-get-to carbs. thanks!

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

I'l take you on in a main jet, or carb cleaning race any day, be carefull who you malign here or you may have gas on your hands. :-)

Ron

to be fair, i've heard motobecanes aren't as tough to fix as some people think. but i'm not a big fan of the tomos design (sorry ree). you have to drop the engine from the frame to even get to the carb. i know it can be done, but you'd have the tools right then and there.

but i'm pretty quick w/ the dellorto ... ;-)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account