Help !! Spree wont run right

Dave in Naples /

I have a 85 Spree (2 stroke). I've religiously followed all advice on this forum, including the big one from start to finish on how to get it to run..........but the problem still persists. I've rebuilt the engine, cleaned the carb, changed the plug many times, changed the gas, filter, ad nauseum.

Problem........she runs fine about 90% of the time, gets up to 35mph (in a tailwind). Just as I get up to top speed, the engine suddenly dies....the scooter slows down to exactly 17mph, then.....engine springs back to life. Back up to 30mph then 20-30 secs later same thing. What gives? Is it suddenly losing fuel? or is there a loose ignition coil, It seems speed related, ie. it always happens at the same speed, and sometimes I can drive around for half and hour without incident. It seems to happen more frequently though in the first 20 minutes the engine is running, Also when just starting up and starting off, the engine is a bit rough running, when you accelerate it misses and dies, but picks up again quickly.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated........thanks.

Re: Help !! Spree wont run right

Chris Robertson /

I had a moped whose clutch would slip. It sounds and feels exactly like the engine dies. When the moped slowed down, the clutch would begin to grab again and power would resume.

Assuming Sprees are automatic and have a dry clutch, you should take apart your clutch, and sand away the shine from the clutch pads and drum with 100 grit sandpaper. Spray it clean with brake parts cleaner.

The procedure I just outlined, of course, doesn't apply if your Spree does not have a dry clutch.

Chris.

Ron Brown /

Chris,

You are the first person I ever met who thought his engine "died" when the clutch was slipping. Clutch slip does slow you down but engine rpm's should go straight to maximum.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Dave,

When it dies, try choking it (with the choke lever, not hands around the throat!), if it fires at all, you have a gas problem, if not you have lost spark. Try this and get back.

Ron

Chris Robertson /

Hi Ron:

I agree this sounds counter-intuitive, but I've run into the problem before. Last year my Jawa started acting up in this manner shortly after I had played around with the clutch (the starting clutch had gotten grease onto it, and I had to clean it out).

I presumed, since the starting clutch was working, that I had fixed the problem. When I started to experience the symptoms that Dave described I assumed it had to be something else. After about two weeks of cleaning carbs, decarbonizing the engine, checking wiring, etc. I decided to clean the drive clutch. Problem disappeared.

I don't think the clutch was slipping completely, I think it started to slip when it reached a certain load. The engine would lose power sooner when I was going up a hill, and not lose power at all when I was going down a hill --the load seemed to affect the problem.

I can not be 100% certain that the problem was the clutch, but cleaning it out did fix my problem and it's the best theory I've got.

Chris.

Just for reference... the Spree has a double sheave (pulley) belt drive just like a snowmobile.

I think its fuel related.. mostly because he said the problem happens most when its cold, and gets better as it gets warmer.. which is about the opposite of what happens when a CDI is going bad.

Maybe the vacuum operated petcock isn't operating correctly from a leaky diaphram or hose?

If it goes 35mph it is all in pretty good mechanical shape.

Reeperette /

As an outside shot, check the mix to see if it's too rich - could be "fourstroking" or whatever the hell they call that....fixed a prob like that on a guys Honda at BBQ, and it did feel somewhat like the engine "died" and caught again when it slowed down.

-Ree

Hi! Add to what these Gurus said that in particular it could be a restriction at the needle valve or float setting too low or partial jet clogging.

What it sounds like it could be to me is a clogged fuel filter or some other sort of restriction of gas supply. The supply would be enough to keep the float bowl filled at most speeds, but when he goes up to top speed, the engine would be sucking more gas out of the float bowl than the tank could put in resulting in an empty float bowl and no gas until the ped slows down and the bowl has a chance to refill.

One last thing from me,Dave.I just remembered that the other night my moped was quitting at almost exactly 30mph,and picking back up smoothly at 26 or less.I found the problem to be a lack of air intake and I had to pull 2 plugs out of the air cleaner.I'm also gonna drill a couple more in spots that won't encourage water oe dirt to enter.If you followed Fred's excellent treatise on Fixing Your Moped,though, this may not be your problem.But it sure sounds similar!BYE!

Ron Brown /

Don,

Check your air filter and make sure the carb is not spitting fuel mix on to it.

Mine had exactly your symptoms, I would call it more of a decrease in power, and I made the problem go away by moving the air cleaner to the outside of the airbox and enlarging it.

Ron

Hi,Ron! Thanks for the tip but I checked and the air housing was dry as a bone.Take my word for it,it was lack of air porting.You see,on this forum I don't like to take time to fill in every detail and sometimes I should.I can't type worth a hoot so I get lazy sometimes. I don't think I mentioned that this Minnarelli has a smallish air box and the other MOTOMARINA with the Morini hjas a much larger one.Also,the air box on the Minnarelli has to pull its air from a rearward direction which creates a vacuum to the leeward (rear) of the box.This is what roused my suspicions as to air intake force.I wonder if maybe I could get another type filter box to pull air from the bottom maybe,but there's not much room.THANKS,again!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account