Re: 77 Motobecane (got it unseized, now what?)

Brewster /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Well, Ray, thanks... I got it unseized without too much trouble. I removed the spark plug & sprayed in PB Blaster... let it sit, then yurned it over with a breaker bar... it got easier and eiasier. After about 5-10 times I am now able to turn it by hand now. When I put my thumb over the spark plug hole I'm not strong enough to hold the pressure in (pushes my thumb up)... so I assume it's got compression and that it has a chance of running?

Now, on my 50V '77 Motobecane... can somene explain to me the theory in how it is supposed to work? The only other moped I've seen was a 79 tomos that had to be pedaled backwards to start it. Not so with the motobecane. I can pedal the bike around but what is suppposed to engage the engine when you want it to run? I'm sure that the engine isn't turning all the time you are pedaling so there must be a clutch or something that you engage somehow to start the engine when you want to use it?

Also, on the right side, belt pulley that the pedals turn... there is a little lever like thing on it that you can turn... it moves a little arm on the back of the pulley with a spring that engages into a sprocket... what is this for?

Lastly, on the left handlebar, there is a black platic thing that I think is missing a cap. It pushes like a button, is this the horn? Is it also supposed to turn as a switch?

Thanks for all your help! This is fun!

--Ryan

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account