77 Motobecane, seized & how to start?

Brewster /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I just got my first moped dumped into my lap. It's a 77 Motobecane and looks to be in cosmetically good shape. However they said the engine was seized. From what I understand, sometimes this is a survivable situation. Ideas? PB Blaster?

Also, what is the procedure for using/starting/stopping the engine on this unit? Someone I know had a tomos that you would pedal backwards to start, but I think it's different for this moped.

On the 77 motobecane, there is what I think is the clutch on the left side with the belt around it. I assume the center is supposed to be turnable? Now, in almost the same position on the RIGHT side is another round item with a square hole... what is it and should it turn?

Any/all info would be very helpful. I'm a beginner with mopeds but I'm a quick learner.

Thanks!

--Brewster

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account