The A35 (sometimes referred to as the A5) is an engine which came on Tomos mopeds made from 1991 - 2006. It is the improved version of the earlier A3 engine. This engine has a reed valve inducted cylinder with a two petal flat reed valve. The A35 engine is available in a pedal start or kick start version.
"By the way, the A5's the same machine. They just changed the plating, hoped no one noticed." —Kaylee Frye
- A35 Engine
- 49cc two stroke
- 38mm X 43mm Bore/Stroke
- 9.1:1 compression ratio
- Automatic 2 speed transmission
- Dellorto SHA 14/12 Carburetor (#53 main jet)
- Stock Tomos A35 port map and port timing information
- Gearbox oil: Type A or Type F Automatic transmission fluid.
- Spark plug: NGK BR6HS (CDI) B6HS (points)
- Spark plug gap: 0.8mm
- Ignition advance: 1,5 + 0,2 mm BTDC.
- Points gap: 0.35-0.45mm (Non CDI models -- 1991 to 1994)
- Maintenance Assistance: Tomos A35 Guide
Differences between Kick start and Pedal start Versions
- The pedal shaft on the pedal start version of the A35 engine is longer than that of the kick start. It accommodates both pedals and the right spring assembly. The kick start pedal shaft mounts only the kick start lever, and it ends inside the right transmission cover.
- The claw collar on the kick start version has claws on only one side, the side that mates with the sprocket inside the transmission. The claw collar on the pedal start version has claws on both sides.
Final Drive Gear
- This is the large gear between the case halves that's directly attached to the large outer left sprocket by way of the hollow drive shaft. This gear, in the pedal start version, has claws for mating with the claw collar. In the kick start version these claws aren't present.
Left Side Transmission Cover
- The kick start version has a riveted in mount for the kick start lever return spring.
Right Side Transmission Cover
- On the Pedal version, the right side transmission cover has a hole though which the pedal shaft rotates. The kick start version is sealed, and the end of the pedal shaft sits in a bearing pressed into the transmission cover.
- The kick start version has a spring on the left side to the retract the kick lever. This spring is not present on the pedal start version.
How to start the engine:
- On the right handle bar (throttle) a red switch, Push it to the right and you are in the "run" position (must be in this position for the moped to run)
- Push it to the left and it kills the engine hence why it is called the "kill switch" (moped will not run if it’s in this position)
- The petcock (or fuel valve) is on the right side of the tank, turn it clockwise all the way (arrow on it should point down, reserve is up) to turn the flow of gas to your Carburetor on.
- Lever on the side of your Carburetor is the choke. Push it down/in before you start the moped. The choke is designed to flip back to normal when you open the throttle all the way (if not, hold the throttle open and wiggle the choke lever)
- Kickstart the engine by kicking the pedals counter-clockwise. You may want to apply some throttle as you do this, so the engine has something to burn.
- When you turn the moped off, turn the petcock back to it's horizontal position. (arrow pointing at front of moped)
- On the left handle bar, the blue button is your horn
- The green one is your turn signals (right position for right, left for left, middle for off)
- The black button is your headlight (up for high beam, down for low beam.)
Rebuilding An A35
- Watch this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EVwYKv0AnY